How to Become a School Bus Driver
Washington Community Schools is continuously seeking qualified candidates to drive a school bus. To obtain your school bus license, please follow the steps below:
School Bus License Process
1. To be considered for a bus driver position for Washington Community Schools, you need to submit an application available at the Superintendent’s Office, located at 301 E. South St. The application will be reviewed by the Director of Transportation. A background check, pre-employment drug and alcohol test, and interview will follow. The pre-employment drug & alcohol test will be arranged for you to take.
2. A CDL Physical Examination and Physical Fitness Certificate are required. You can pick up both forms at the Superintendent’s Office. The physical examination and physical fitness certificate must be completed by a medical examiner that is certified by the State of Indiana to issue DOT CDL physicals. We recommend scheduling an appointment at Deaconess Clinic in Petersburg for this procedure. The number to call is (812) 354-1052. This must be completed prior to taking any exams at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles.
3. You will take the written exam at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles to get a permit/temporary license for a school bus. Requirements are: General Knowledge, Public Passenger, School Bus Endorsement, and Air Brake Endorsement. Please pick up an Indiana CDL Test Booklet at the BMV in order to study these specific sections prior to taking the written exams. The BMV will need to see the CDL physical before you complete the written exams. You will receive a temporary driver’s license for 180 days (permit). Make sure you have a Class B Interstate license (not intrastate or K restriction), with a P (passenger) and S (school bus) endorsement. Also make sure there is NO L (non-air brake vehicle) restriction on your permit.
4. Bring permit, CDL physical, and any other pertinent paperwork to the Superintendent’s Office for the Transportation Director’s approval. The Transportation Director will arrange for observation/drive time on a bus and training to prepare you for the “bus walk around” and driving skills test.
5. The next step in the licensing process is for you to complete the observation/drive time on an actual school bus route or trip with a licensed school bus driver. This form must be completed by the trainer and trainee as time is logged. You must have a minimum of 4 hours of observation while your trainer drives the bus, and you must have a minimum of 8 hours driving the bus with your trainer observing you. Once these minimum hours are met the completed form must be submitted to the Transportation Director so they can submit all of the information to the State DOE. You will be eligible to be issued a yellow card after this information is received by the DOE and completion of three day Bus Safety Course (see #8)l. This card is needed to transport students alone. Yellow cards expire December 31st of each calendar year. It is the driver’s responsible to complete the Annual Safety Meeting prior to this December deadline in order to receive a new yellow card for the following year. There is no charge to do this.
6. Once you feel confident that you are ready to take the skills test, we will contact the test site and set up a date and time for you to take the skills test. There is a $100.00 charge each time you take the skills test. Your trainer will accompany you when you go to be tested. This test is a Pass or Fail grade only.
7. Upon completion and passing score of the skills test, the examiner will update your license to the BMV. It is important that you make sure the correct endorsements have been put on your license before you leave the BMV (see #3 above for proper endorsements). 8. The Transportation Director will schedule you to take the three-day Bus Safety Course conducted by the Indiana State DOE/Bus Safety Office. Should you have any questions concerning any of these steps please contact Washington Community School’s Transportation Director at (812) 254-5536. See next page for important information regarding reimbursement of fees.