WASHINGTON COMMUNITY SCHOOLS
RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR BUS RIDERS
BEFORE BUS ARRIVES
- Arrive at the pick-up location 5 minutes before the bus.
- Wait off the street/road, not on the street/road.
- Respect other people’s property on the way to and/or waiting at pick-up location.
BOARDING THE BUS
- Wait for the bus to come to a complete stop.
- Be respectful and take your turn getting on the bus.
- Use the handrail when entering bus steps.
CONDUCT ON THE BUS
- Follow the directions of the driver.
- Walk to seat and remain there. Do not stand or move around while the bus is moving. The driver may assign seats.
- Cell phones must not be a distraction. The driver will address cell phone distractions.
- Do not get into a lengthy conversation with the driver or cause a distraction unless there is an emergency.
- Talk quietly so the driver can hear traffic sounds.
- Keep arms, feet, backpacks, etc. out of the aisles.
- Do not open or close windows without driver’s permission.
- Keep hands and head inside bus. Do not stick or throw anything outside of the windows.
- Profanity, screaming or physical/verbal harassment is strictly prohibited.
- Use of tobacco, alcohol, or drugs in any form is strictly prohibited.
- Use of lighters or matches is strictly prohibited.
- Use of laser pointers is strictly prohibited.
- Do not deface/damage any part of the bus. The student and/or parents will be held financially responsible for repairs.
- Do not litter on the bus.
- No eating, drinking, or chewing gum.
- Do not tamper with any safety device or any other equipment.
- Respectful and courteous behavior is expected at all times.
EXITING THE BUS
- Do not stand/leave your seat until the bus comes to a complete stop.
- Take your turn; don’t crowd in front of others.
- Use handrails when exiting bus.
- Watch your step.
- If you must cross street, look both ways, wait for driver to motion you to move, look both ways again to check for traffic before you cross.
- Follow directions of the bus driver and/or bus supervisor at transfer point (WHS/WJHS).
IN CASE OF EMERGENCY AND WHEN THE DRIVER MUST LEAVE THE BUS
- Stay seated.
- Do not touch emergency equipment or anything else on the bus.
- Depend on the driver’s training to take care of the situation.
NOTE: In accordance with Indiana Law, it is a privilege to ride a school bus. Violation of the rules and regulations noted above may result in suspension of transportation privileges.
SPECIAL NOTE TO PARENTS: Washington Community Schools buses only pick up and drop off at the student’s place of residence or Licensed Day Care that is a business and your child will be going there all year. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Our goal is to provide safe transportation to and from school for your child. If you have a concern or question, please call your respective bus driver or Washington Community School’s Transportation Director.